Wheelchair News: Issue #1
In This Issue:
- Find Your Perfect Wheelchair
- Hard-To-Find Used Wheelchairs
- Battery Maintenance
- Wheelchair Add-Ons
- We Want Your Used Electric Wheelchair
1. Find Your Perfect Wheelchair
If you've researched all of the electric wheelchairs that are available on the market today, you know there are hundreds of possibilities. All the available brands, models, and options can be overwhelming. It's important to keep a few questions in mind when searching for your next power chair:
- Will I use my electric wheel chair mostly outside, mostly inside, or both?
- How narrow are the doors in my home and workplace?
- Do I need a portable (take-apart) power wheelchair?
- How much do I weigh?
- How wide do I want the seat to be?
- How much can I spend?
Used Wheelchairs USA offers a no-obligation "Find My Perfect Wheelchair" search. We've taken out the guesswork and made it simple for you to choose your very best used electricwheelchair. Answer some easy questions and you'll instantly get a list of used motorized wheelchairs that meet your needs.
For more help, try these links:
2. Hard-To-Find Used Wheelchairs
When you buy a new wheelchair, the possibilities are endless. Anything available on the market is available to you, if you're willing to pay. However, when searching for a used wheelchair, customized and uncommon chairs are a challenge to locate.
What do I mean by "customized" and "uncommon"? I'm referring to chairs with weight capacities of 300+ pounds, cloth seats, adjustable/rehab seating, 6+ mph, swing-away or elevating leg rests, power elevating seats, special cushions, power recline, portable chairs, and more.
Used Wheelchairs USA is proud to offer a variety of "hard-to-find" Pride Mobility Wheelchairs. We currently have in stock:
- 1 Pride Quantum Blast 850: rehab seating, 8.5 mph, swing-away leg rests
- 1 Pride Jazzy 1170 XL Plus: 450 pound weight capacity
- 1 Pride Jet 2 HD: 350 pound weight capacity, swivel seat
- 1 Pride Quantum 1420: rehab seating, power recline
- 2 Pride Jazzy 1105: fold up portability
- 1 Pride LX10: fold-up accordion-like portability; legrests; off-board charger
You may also view our entire used electric wheelchair inventory.
3. Battery Maintenance
Electric wheelchair batteries are expensive, so proper maintenance is very important. Luckily, batteries used in Pride Mobility wheelchairs require very little maintenance. They are either GEL batteries or AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) batteries and require no more than a good charge.
However, it is important to remember that you should only charge your batteries when necessary; these batteries have a finite recharge life. This means that they are only designed to be recharged a certain number of times (300 on average). So, whether the batteries only need a small charge or whether they need fully charged, they will only recharge 300 times before you need to buy new batteries.
This means that you should let your batteries discharge before recharging. In this way, you will get the longest life and the most value out of your battery dollar.
For more information on wheelchair batteries, please see our article on Wheelchair Batteries.
4. Wheelchair Add-Ons
You know what you need out of a power chair. You've done your research, filled out the Find My Perfect Wheelchair search, and have identified the chairs that will best fit your needs. But before you buy, you should also consider the extras that will make your power chair use more enjoyable.
You will probably use your powerchair for hours at a time, so it is important that it be comfortable for you. Please consider these add-ons:
- High-back seat with headrest
- Cloth seat
- Manual Recline
- Flat-free drive wheels
- Swivel Seat
- Elevating or Swing-Away Legrests
- Increased Speed
- Power Tilt/Recline
Used Wheelchairs USA can help you "build" the wheelchair of your dreams at a reasonable price. Please call us today at 540-721-3327 (Virginia).
5. CustomizationYou've found your perfect wheelchair. You've selected your desired add-ons. What more could you want? Try custom colors!
- Are you a Philly's fan? Order a green shroud with a white upholstered seat.
- Do you want your electric wheelchair to match your convertible? Try a fire-engine red or electric yellow shroud with black upholstery.
- A graduate of U.Va.? Now you can show your pride with an orange shroud and navy upholstery.
- Or just pick your favorites: your hometown teams, college, or simply your favorite colors.
6. We Want Your Used Electric Wheelchair
We buy used Pride Mobility electric wheel chairs. If you have a used electric wheelchair that you want to sell, please tell us about it at:
Until the next issue ...
Erin Raub, Product Manager
Used Wheelchairs USA